This guy has been around my entire life, gently and lovingly leading by example. He’s a card-carrying  member of the greatest generation who truly lives up to the hype-modest, frugal, hard-working, and level-headed, with an attitude of generosity and grace seldom seen anymore. He is who I want to be when I grow up.

 He lives (with his wife) independently: in his own house, driving himself wherever he needs to go, paying bills, buying groceries, cooking and cleaning, and playing his fiddle in the band at nursing homes and VFW events several times a month. Over 100 friends and family members attended his 90th birthday party, and he was both thrilled and humbled by the surprise. It was magnificent.

I’m 58, and I have no idea how life will look without him. I’ve depended on his cheerful disposition and even temper forever. I’ve looked to him for advice and assistance more times than I’d care to admit. He knows that his other children and I adore him, and that’s all he has ever wanted.

That said, I (unsuccessfully) attempt to mimic the art of his life every day. I fail every day. For those of us fortunate enough to have or who have had a parent or parents like this, I wonder: have we missed the boat? Are we too self-centered, privileged, and settled into our comfortable lifestyles and uncomfortable habits to create that kind of legacy?

(Note: I also loved and admired my mother, who passed away in 2004 and who also triumphed over many challenges and defeats, but that’s for another day…)

Comments

Popular Posts